Commercial Buildings, Churches, Mosques, Restaurants &
Bars, ATM machines and Touch Screens within Reception areas
A healthy and happy workforce is crucial for productivity and long term business efficiency.
Unhygienic working conditions are the cause of millions of lost working days around the world. Bacteria and viruses that multiply on hard surfaces can remain infectious for up to 24 hours.
Desks, work-stations, keyboards can become breeding grounds for infections. The danger is multiplied when people eat their lunch at a desk that is a hub for germs:
- 20% of people never clean their mouse.
- 80% of common infections are transmitted by touch.
- Coughs and sneezes cause germs to be transported around the office.
- Bacteria spreads as colleagues touch the same door handles and surfaces.
- Risk is transferred when people touch their eyes, mouths, causing colds, coughs, flu, Norovirus or food poisoning.
Five key areas in which commercial building owners, managers and employers can achieve more hygienic environments:
- Washrooms: Risk hotspots in the washroom include toilets, flush handles and cubicle handles. Norovirus and bacteria such as Campylobacter can be found in these areas, both cause Gastroenteritis. The germs are transferred from surface to hand. The spread of infection can be minimised with surface and flush sanitisers and toilet cleaners.
- Reception / entrance area: Door handles are a risk hotspot in reception and entrance areas, harbouring bacteria which can be transferred by surface to hand and from hand to hand. It can cause skin infections, food poisoning and respiratory diseases. Hand and surface sanitisers will kill germs and help prevent the spread of infection.
- Corridors / common areas: High footfall makes corridors and common areas germ hotspots. Scenting products will help control and minimise aromas that might be derived from malodour producing bacteria. Air disinfection units will also help reduce airborne microorganisms.
- Desks / meeting rooms: Door handles and desk surfaces are risk hotspots in meeting rooms, harbouring for example Rhinovirus. It is transferred from surface to hands and causes the common cold. Surface sanitisers from Initial can help minimise the spread of germs.
- Kitchen area: Food preparation surfaces in kitchens can be home to pathenogenic strains of E.Coli and the Norovirus. It can be transmitted from surface to hand, hand to mouth or by infected food and can cause gastroenteritis and urinary tract infections. Good hand washing and drying products can help to minimise the risk of infection. ( Source: Cleaning and Maintenance, Facilities Management News)
6 Square Metres
Every time a TOILET is FLUSHED with the lid up a fine mist containing BACTERIA such as E-COLI and Staphyloccocus Aureus is spread over 6 square metres.
The area around sinks in public bathrooms that is covered in such bacteria.
WORKING DAYS LOST each year due to unhygienic working conditions.
More than 10 million BACTERIA lurk on the average office desk.
Hidden in your computer keyboard.
1 of 5 Office Workers
DO NOT CLEAN their DESK before eating.